- 4 large eggplants
- 2 brown onion finely diced
- 6 gloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 bunch of fresh thyme finely chopped
- 200ml olive oil
- 250ml red wine
- 800g diced tomato pulp (mutti brand)
- 100g nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 bunch of chopped parsley
- Salt & pepper
- Basil for garnish
Place the onions, garlic, thyme, bay, chili, salt pepper & oil into a heavy based pan and sweat on a low heat for 15 minutes. turn the heat up for 1 minute then pour in the wine, reduce by 3/4 then add the diced tomatoes, simmer for 45 minutes on a very low heat.
first grill your eggplants whole either on a BBQ or stove top open flame, rotating the eggplant until soft throughout. once cooked remove the eggplant & remove 90% of the skin the chop finely.
To finish, add the eggplant & nutritional yeast to the red sauce & simmer for another 10 minutes. cook any pasta or gnocchi you desire, add sauce to pasta in a pan, toss with chopped parsley, check seasoning & serve .