- 1.4 kg (3 lb 2 oz) boneless chicken thigh or chicken merrylands
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 shiitake mushrooms, sliced in half
- 5 shimeji mushrooms, sliced in half
- 3 oyster mushrooms, sliced in half
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 small red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 cm (. inch) piece ginger, finely chopped
- 5 sprigs thyme
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon miso paste
- 4 sheets sea spinach (foraged) or nori sheets, torn
- 1 litre (34 fl oz/4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup jasmine rice
- 1 lemon rind
- Pinch Dried Chili
- 2 nori sheets, extra, torn
- 125 ml (4 fl oz/. cup) coconut milk
- 1 pinch saffron
- 250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) chicken stock, extra
- Salt & pepper
- 1 bunch coriander (cilantro), chopped
- Fried Onions
- Sesame Seeds
Wipe the chicken dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof pot over medium
heat and add the chicken, breast side down. Cook for about 5 minutes, until browned, then remove and set aside.
Add the mushrooms, garlic, chillies, ginger, thyme and lemon zest. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
Stir in the miso paste, sea spinach or nori and the chicken stock.
Return the chicken to the pot breast side up and bake uncovered for 40–50 minutes, until the chicken is golden and cooked through.
Place the rice into a sieve and wash under cold running water. Drain well, then place into a saucepan with the extra nori, coconut milk, saffron, lemon, chili and stock. Bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low.
Cook for 10 minutes or until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid.
Take the pan off the heat and let sit for 20 minutes. Fold through the coriander and Season To Taste w Salt & Pepper and serve with the chicken.
Garnish with fried onions, toasted sesame seeds and baby coriander leaves.