Spanish Mackerel, smoked corn, black bean & avocado salsa, pickled cucumber & batch no 5 habanero.
- 4 x 200g Spanish Mackerel fillets or 100g for an entrée portion
- 25ml x oil
- 30g x butter
- Lime juice
For the salsa
- 1 x juice lime & zest
- 1tsp x garlic powder
- 1tsp x smoked paprika
- 2ea x avocado, seeded peeled and diced finely
- 2ea x corn cob, smoked and charred on bbq (remove kernels)
- 400g x cooked black beans
- 1ea x small Spanish onion finely diced
- ½ bch x chopped coriander
- 1tsp x batch no 5 habanero sauce
- Salt pepper
Combine all ingredients together, season and adjust accordingly. Add more lime juice or hot sauce if you wish.
Pickled cucumber (can be done in advance)
- 2ea x Lebanese cucumber (sliced thinly) set aside
- 250 ml x water
- 2tblsp x sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp x salt
- 1tsp x coriander seeds
- 1ea x green shallot sliced
- ¼ bch x picked dill
- ¼ bch coriander picked
Apart for the cucumbers & dill add all the ingredients together and heat until sugar is dissolved. Place cucumber into a jar and layer with the dill. When liquid is semi cooled pour over cucumbers and place in fridge overnight.
Batch no 5 habanero mixed with batch no 5 aioli For the fish, score the skin and season. Heat pan, add oil and cook skin side down for 4 minutes. Turn and cook flesh side down for 3 minutes. Turn back over with skin side up, add butter and lime juice and coat the fish with the pan juices. Make sure fish is cooked. Remove and ready for plating.